Job Duties & Descriptions
Examples of essential functions required for jobs performed by Bear Contracting, LLC and Bear Utilities are listed below.
Duties and responsibilities listed are primary examples, however employees may be asked to perform duties additional duties outside of this list.
Heavy Equipment Operator Duties & Responsibilities
Exact duties can depend on a heavy equipment operator’s specialization. Some common responsibilities include:
- Operate heavy equipment in compliance with the company’s operating safety policies and procedures.
- Provide recommendations for maintaining and improving environmental performance.
- Load and unload equipment from vehicles and trailers.
- Ensure company equipment, materials, and the work site are maintained, kept clean, and stored in a safe manner. Collect and dispose of scrap, excess materials, and refuse.
- Observe distribution of paving material to adjust machine settings or material flow and indicate low spots for workers to add material.
- Complete required paperwork, reporting, and other documentation.
The responsibilities of the Equipment Operator include, but are not limited to:
- Equipment Operation
- Capable of operating multiple pieces of construction equipment used in underground construction, base preparation and construction, and paving.
- Operate all heavy equipment in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Perform daily maintenance and safety checks of equipment.
- Conduct pre-operational checks on equipment, and clean, lubricate and refill the equipment as necessary.
- Maneuver heavy equipment into loading or unloading positions, following signals from loading crew as needed; check that the vehicle position is correct and any special loading equipment is properly positioned.
- Ensure a sound understanding of the issues involving ground disturbance.
- Use various pieces of equipment to perform fine grading and finishing, sloping and banking, backfilling, demolition, ditching, loading, excavating and stockpiling.
- Operate equipment on public roadways, maintaining proper awareness of ones surroundings.
- Perform routine cleaning and maintenance to ensure smooth operation of the equipment.
- Train new employees in the safe and efficient operation of construction equipment.
- Other construction related duties as required.